Saturday, January 3, 2015

Pecan Pie

Todays weather forecast: crappy with a chance of snow and sleet.  So today is a great day for hibernation and baking.  What better to bake than a delicious pecan pie...mostly because I already have the ingredients and it's one of my husbands favorites.

I've only made pecan pie once before, it turned out to be a hit.  Which made me happy because according to my husband, it's very easy to mess up a pecan pie.  Even though the consistency was "off", apparently it was good.  Don't panic, it was simple to make.

I used a recipe that has been around for years and years. I do love old recipes that have never changed and continued to be good.  Although, I did attempt to change the recipe after reading a few others. I used melted butter last time and softened butter this time, we will see if that caused the odd consistency or if it just needed a tad more baking time.




(please ignore my crappy cookie sheet, it was still warm from the oven)

Alright, let's begin, as always, with the ingredients:


1 pie deep dish pie shell (I just did already frozen)
3 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Dark Karo corn syrup
1 stick of butter...softened until updated otherwise
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Now that we have that out of the way, lets begin.


First, place your pie shell on a cookie sheet for easy transfer from the oven.

Then beat the eggs in a mixer till light a fluffy

Add the sugar, a beat again.

Then add the butter, corn syrup, salt, and vanilla.

Add the pecans and fold in a with a spatula and pour into the pie shell.

Bake the pecan pie starting at 350 degrees for ten minutes.

Then WITHOUT opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 30 min more...however, I have found that I still needed to bake my pie for at least 15 more minutes.

A knife should come out pretty clean when inserted in the middle and the middle should jiggle slightly like Jello, If you're middle is still liquidy after the 30 min, go ahead and continue baking. 

Let the pie rest and cool completely before serving, this could take a few hours so plan accordingly if you are deciding to wow a party or guests.

GOOD LUCK and let me know how it turns out!! :)








No comments:

Post a Comment