Thursday, January 1, 2015

Pickled Eggs

Well, I decided to dive into blogging. Mostly because of my interests on Pinterest and my inane habit of photographing my attempts at recipes.

For my first blog post, I decided to post one thing that has made my husband happy...pickled eggs.


I find them gross but my husband begged me to make them since our good friends used to make them all the time.  So after researching and deliberating, I agreed...not that I deny him anything anyways.

With all of that being said, here's how to make pickled eggs of deliciousness.


First figure out what size jar you are going to be using, so that you know how many eggs you need. I used a 1/2 gallon mason jar I found in a six pack in the canning section of walmart.  This jar fit 14 eggs and all the crunchy goodies that go in with them.


When you narrow that down, boil your eggs. For those who don't know how, place all your eggs in a medium sized pan and cover the eggs with water. Oh and here's a life hack, toss some baking soda in the pan, it will make the peeling easier.   Bring to a boil and boil for 12 minutes....I dont know why 12 minutes is the magic number, but it is.  Once the magic 12 minutes is up, removed the pan and place under running cold water and peel. 

Now here is all the goodness that gets put in the jar:

14 eggs
1 banana pepper--sliced
1 jalepeno--sliced
1 Tbs crushed red pepper
3 Tbs black peppercorn
3 Tbs mustard seed
1/2 large red onion
3 cloves garlic--sliced
bunch of dill (I eyeballed this to my liking)
salt and pepper  


The only directions that I give is that remove the jalepeno seeds if you do not want any spice to your eggs.  Otherwise, I just roughly sliced everything and tossed it in the jar.  They are there for flavor...or if you're my husband, for eating. 

My husband and I discovered that if you poke the eggs with a toothpick, it will add more flavor over time, so I do recommend doing so before adding the brine.

Now for the brine, this recipe was given to me by our good friends, who got it from her mother. So why mess with something that is tried and true.  BEWARE, this will smell up your kitchen, my husband goes running as soon as the stove turns on.

For the 1/2 gallon mason jar, the measurements I used were:

3 cups water
3 cups vinegar
1/4 cup pickling salt

Bring all of this to a boil, once boiling, remove from stove and pour into the jar. MAKE SURE THE EGGS ARE COVERED. This is very important for health reasons.  Seal the jar tightly, let sit on the counter to cool a bit, and then put in the fridge. 

My advice is to wait at LEAST two weeks for maximum enjoyment and keep refrigerated.


On a side note, I would not recommend using the same brine twice....but in case that you are dead set on doing so, make sure that you re-boil the liquid to kill off anything that has the potential of being a bad day for Osmosis Jones. 






No comments:

Post a Comment